Other Books in Series
This is book number 180 in the American Poets Continuum series.
- #14: Good Woman: Poems and a Memoir 1969-1980 (American Poets Continuum #14) (Paperback): $20.00
- #15: Next: New Poems (American Poets Continuum #15) (Paperback): $17.00
- #21: Quilting: Poems 1987-1990 (American Poets Continuum #21) (Paperback): $17.00
- #59: Blessing the Boats: New and Selected Poems 1988-2000 (American Poets Continuum #59) (Paperback): $20.00
- #86: Mercy (American Poets Continuum #86) (Paperback): $17.00
- #112: Voices (American Poets Continuum #112) (Paperback): For price, please email Orders@booksandbooks.com
- #134: The Collected Poems of Lucille Clifton 1965-2010 (American Poets Continuum #134) (Hardcover): $35.00
How to Carry Water: Selected Poems of Lucille Clifton celebrates both familiar and lesser-known works by one of America's most beloved poets, including 10 newly discovered poems that have never been collected.
These poems celebrating black womanhood and resilience shimmer with intellect, insight, humor, and joy, all in Clifton's characteristic style--a voice that the late Toni Morrison described as "seductive with the simplicity of an atom, which is to say highly complex, explosive underneath an apparent quietude." Selected and introduced by award-winning poet Aracelis Girmay, this volume of Clifton's poetry is simultaneously timeless and fitting for today's tumultuous moment.
About the Author
Lucille Clifton (1936-2010) was an award winning poet, fiction writer, and author of children's books. Her poetry collection, Blessing the Boats: New & Selected Poems 1988-2000 (BOA, 2000), won the National Book Award for Poetry. In 1988 she became the only author to have two collections selected in the same year as finalists for the Pulitzer Prize, Good Woman: Poems and a Memoir (BOA, 1987), and Next: New Poems (BOA, 1987). In 1996, her collection The Terrible Stories (BOA, 1996), was a finalist for the National Book Award. Among her many other awards and accolades are the Ruth Lilly Poetry Prize, the Frost Medal, and an Emmy Award. In 2013, her posthumously published collection The Collected Poems of Lucille Clifton 1965-2010 (BOA, 2012), was awarded the Hurston/Wright Legacy Award for Poetry.