Raising chickens is a fun adventure for a beginning or experienced chicken farmer to embark upon. In doing so, you'll increase your overall health and have a lot of fun doing so However, it does require some basic research.
This book will teach you how to:
- Select the best breed of chicken for your needs
- Raise chickens from day-old chicks
- Incubate eggs
- Construct and equip brooders
- Raise chicks
- Troubleshoot health problems in freshly hatched chicks
- Transition pullets and cockerels to an outdoor coop
- Build and equip coops with feed, water, nesting, and roosting systems
- Evaluate whether free-ranging is right for your birds
- Prevent the incidence of predators
- Decide upon the best coop construction for your lifestyle
- Provide proper feed, water, shelter, and bedding
- Increase efficiency and environmental friendliness through helpful add-ons
- Raise laying hens
- Increase and maintain egg production
- Deal with the molting process
- Raise healthy meat birds
- Slaughter, butcher and process meat birds
- Overwinter (or raise birds throughout cold months)
- Maintain adequate egg production during the winter
- Improve meat quality and flavor
- Be a successful and happy chicken owner
About the Expert:
Rebekah White lives in upstate New York on a small, cozy slice of heaven. She raises chickens, pigs, honey bees, and vegetables to sustain herself and her close family. When she's not at home with her animals, she is working at her "day job" teaching high school English at a rural school.
In the meantime, she enjoys running, traveling, cooking (especially with fresh produce and homegrown meats ), and writing (ideally about the farm ). She has also published articles on home remedies and recipes, canning and food preservation, and various general interest stories.
HowExpert publishes quick 'how to' guides on all topics from A to Z by everyday experts.