WE CAN ORDER THIS FOR YOU (store pickup in 5-14 days)
Relax beneath palm trees, kayak through bioluminescent bays, or dance the night away to the sounds of salsa: Experience the Island of Enchantment with Moon Puerto Rico. Inside you'll find:
- Flexible itineraries ranging from a few days on the East Coast to two weeks exploring the best of Puerto Rico, including day trips from San Juan
- Strategic advice for beach-lovers, adventure travelers, honeymooners, wellness-seekers, and more, with the best beaches for surfing, swimming, snorkeling, and diving
- The best spots for eco-friendly outdoor adventures like hiking, kayaking, and spelunking. Zipline over the lush jungle, hike through cloud forests, explore vast underground caves, learn how to surf, or spot iguanas on the wild island of Mona
- Unique and authentic experiences: Visit a historic coffee hacienda, shop for hand-rolled cigars along San Juan's cobblestone streets, and savor a traditional lunch of mofongo. Visit ancient ceremonial bateyes, and learn about Puerto Rico's indigenous Taíno communities. Enjoy an al fresco dinner in the warm tropical breeze, and dance to bomba as the sun sets over the ocean
- Insider insight from Suzanne Van Atten on how to experience the island like a local, respectfully engage with the culture, and support local businesses, including opportunities to help with hurricane relief efforts
- Full-color photos and detailed maps throughout
- Up-to-date information on Puerto Rico's landscape, history, customs, and environmental changes
- Handy tools including a Spanish phrasebook, driving directions, and travel tips for disability access, solo travelers, seniors, and LGBTQ travelers
Experience the best of Puerto Rico with Moon's practical tips and local know-how.
Exploring the Caribbean? Check out Moon Dominican Republic, Moon Bahamas, or Moon Jamaica.
About the Author
Suzanne Van Atten has written about destinations throughout the United States, Mexico, South America, the Caribbean, and Europe. She has barhopped in Barcelona, slept in a Jesuit monastery on the Amalfi coast, crewed a hot air balloon in New Mexico, gone white-water rafting in Tennessee, and gotten lost too many times to count.
Amidst all these travels, she always returns to Puerto Rico, a place she fell in love with when she lived there as a teenager. The country's rich culture, postcard-perfect beaches, lush tropical jungle, cobblestone streets, pastel colors, lively music, and the joie de vivre of its people colluded to seduce her. No matter how many times she returns, she always discovers something new and delightful.
Suzanne is a creative writing instructor, an editor for the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, and a Pushcart Prize-nominated essayist who's been published in the Gettysburg Review, The Chattahoochee Review, and Full Grown People.