WE CAN ORDER THIS FOR YOU (store pickup in 5-14 days)
The spicy scent of crawfish, the crooning of a corner saxophonist, the refreshing sip of an authentic Sazerac: New Orleans is a true sensory feast. Take a bite out of the Big Easy with Moon New Orleans.
- Explore the City: Navigate by neighborhood or by activity with color-coded maps, or follow a guided neighborhood walk through Uptown, the Warehouse District, Treme, and more
- See the Sites: Learn about African American history at the Backstreet Cultural Museum, ride the St. Charles Streetcar, and sip a little something while you shop on Magazine Street. Take a leisurely bike ride in City Park, appreciate the wild beauty of the bayou, and explore 300 years of history in the city's famous cemeteries.
- Get a Taste of the City: Enjoy funky eateries serving Asian-Southern fusion, vegan soul food, and modern Latin fare, or head uptown to the classic French-Creole restaurants and corner po-boy shops. Savor sweet beignets with cafe au lait, sample Cajun classics like alligator and boudin, and dive into a delicious bowl of gumbo
- Bars and Nightlife: Sip a Sazerac in the Roosevelt Hotel or a Ramos Gin Fizz straight from a shaker machine, listen to the live music on Frenchmen Street, discover the best gay bars in town, and take your cocktail to go. Sample stouts at a local microbrewery, see what's on draft at the first cidery in New Orleans, and find out where the locals go to laissez les bon temps rouler
- Local Advice from proud New Orleanian Nora McGunnigle
- Flexible, Strategic Itineraries for music lovers, foodies, history buffs, and more, plus easy trips outside the city including Jungle Gardens, Bayou Teche Brewing, and the Blue Moon Saloon and Guesthouse
- Tips for Travelers including where to stay, how to safely bike around the city, and advice for LGBTQ+ visitors, international travelers, families with children, and more
- Maps and Tools like background information on the history and culture of New Orleans, easy-to-read maps, full-color photos, and neighborhood guides
Go beyond the French Quarter and experience the real New Orleans with Moon's practical tips and local know-how.
Hitting the road? Try Moon Nashville to New Orleans Road Trip. If you're heading to more of the South's best cities, try Moon Nashville or Moon Charleston & Savannah.
About the Author
Nora McGunnigle has lived in New Orleans for the better part of a decade. When she first arrived, she worked in a neighborhood- and community-based nonprofit called Neighborhoods Partnership Network (NPN), where she was exposed to New Orleans history: the good and the bad, overall and neighborhood-specific. She grew to know and understand people throughout the city, beyond her own social circle and Uptown enclave, and her love for New Orleans only grew stronger.
As a freelance writer, she started out covering beer culture in New Orleans, and has expanded into the city's diverse food scene, writing about distilleries, cocktail bars, coffee, kombucha, architecture, and music. She's written regularly for Louisiana travel magazines (GoNOLA.com, Where Traveler, Country Roads, Louisiana Kitchen & Culture, Louisiana Cookin') and for Louisiana residents (Thrillist, Eater, The Gambit, Louisiana Cultural Vistas). You can find her on social media @beerfoodtravels, and read her work on beerfoodtravels.com.