The Message is a reading Bible translated from the original Greek and Hebrew Scriptures by scholar, pastor, author, and poet Eugene Peterson. Thoroughly reviewed and approved by twenty biblical scholars, The Message combines the authority of God's Word with the cadence and energy of conversational English.
What makes The Message the best reading Bible? Discover for yourself.
- Feel the impact of a Bible translated into conversational English.
- Enjoy the familiar one-column design, like books you're used to.
- Find passages with The Message's unique verse-numbered paragraphs.
- See the big picture with "The Story of the Bible in Five Acts," alongside handcrafted timelines and charts.
- Keep your place with a satin ribbon marker.
About the Author
Eugene H. Peterson is a pastor, scholar, writer, and poet. After teaching at a seminary and then giving nearly 30 years to church ministry in the Baltimore area, he created The Message-a vibrant Bible paraphrase that connects with today's readers like no other.
It took him a full 10 years to complete. He worked not from any English text but from the original Hebrew, Aramaic, and Greek manuscripts, to guarantee authenticity. At the same time, his ear was always tuned to the cadence and energy of contemporary English.
Peterson and his wife, Jan, now live in his native Montana. They are the parents of three and the grandparents of six.