Learn all about dastardly pirates in this children’s book full of photographs and illustrations, fascinating facts, and engaging challenges—from the creators of DKfindout.com, DK’s free online resource for kids.
Did you know that Blackbeard’s crew had more than 400 pirates in it? Or that pirates were more likely to steal sugar and spices than gold and jewels? Find out why!
Perfect for curious readers who want a highly visual history book to increase their pirate knowledge, DK findout! Pirates is sure to inspire. Inside, author E. T. Fox breaks down what pirates are, how they live, and why we are so fascinated with them.
With this DK findout! book, you will:
- Encounter swashbuckling pirates and learn how they really lived out on the high seas
- Board a pirate ship to see what they ate, the rules they followed, and the treasure they searched for
- Read about the different types of pirates, including Vikings, 17th century pirates, and modern pirates
- Meet Anne Bonny, Mary Read, and Ching Shih, the tough and infamous women pirates who ruled the seas
- Learn how to read a treasure map
- Hear from historian David Moore, who helped locate the wreck of Blackbeard’s legendary ship in 1996
- Fold out the cover for a pirate quiz and timeline
- and find out much, much more!
The DK findout! series of kids books helps children become experts on their favorite nonfiction subjects, from dinosaurs and ancient civilizations to space, coding, and cutting-edge technology. Learn more about pirates—and everything else—at www.dkfindout.com, the award-winning free educational website.
About the Author
Ed Fox is an historian and author, specialising in British and Atlantic maritime history, with particular expertise in piracy and maritime crime, colonial history, privateering, and technological history, of the sixteenth-nineteenth centuries. Ed received his M.A. in maritime history from the University of Exeter. As well as having published books and articles, Ed has contributed as an advisor and “talking head” to numerous television productions, regularly lectures on various topics, and is the curator of the Golden Hind museum ship in Brixham, Devon.
Trusted by parents, teachers, librarians, and kids across the world, DK is an award-winning publisher of visual reference books for children, including the DK Eyewitness Books, DK findout!, and Maker Lab series. DK books combine clear photography and illustration with expert text to show you what others only tell you.
“High-interest topics, an abundance of eye-catching photos and visuals, and accessible text are a mainstay of DK titles, and the entries in this DK findout! series are no exception” –Booklist
“Photographs dominate the image-centric layout, augmented by informational bursts and sidebars, quizzes, and interviews… [A]n engaging, accessible format” –Publishers Weekly
“Filled with the beautiful photographs that DK is known for, plus a multitude of facts, prepare to not see your child for a few hours as they pore over these gorgeous books.” –Brightly