For price, please email Orders@booksandbooks.com
NONE / NOT IN STOCK
Other Books in Series
This is book number 1 in the Comprehensive series.
- #2: Pimsleur English for Spanish Speakers Level 2 CD: Learn to Speak and Understand English for Spanish with Pimsleur Language Programs (Comprehensive #2) (CD-Audio): For price, please email Orders@booksandbooks.com
- #3: Pimsleur English for Spanish Speakers Level 3 CD: Learn to Speak and Understand English for Spanish with Pimsleur Language Programs (Comprehensive #3) (CD-Audio): For price, please email Orders@booksandbooks.com
- #4: Pimsleur Spanish Level 4 CD: Learn to Speak and Understand Latin American Spanish with Pimsleur Language Programs (Comprehensive #4) (CD-Audio): For price, please email Orders@booksandbooks.com
- #5: Pimsleur French Level 5 CD: Learn to Speak and Understand French with Pimsleur Language Programs (Comprehensive #5) (CD-Audio): For price, please email Orders@booksandbooks.com
The Easiest and Fastest Way to Learn Finnish
Whether you want to travel, communicate with friends or colleagues, reconnect with family, or just understand more of what’s going on in the world around you, learning Finnish will expand your horizons and immeasurably enrich your life.
The best part is that it doesn’t have to be difficult or take years to master. Thirty minutes a day is all it takes, and we get you speaking right from the first day. Pimsleur courses use a scientifically-proven method that puts you in control of your learning. If you’ve tried other language learning methods but found they simply didn’t stick, then you owe it to yourself to give Pimsleur a try.
- Quick + Easy – Only 30 minutes a day.
- Portable + Flexible – Core lessons can be done anytime, anywhere, and easily fit into your busy life.
- Proven Method – Works when other methods fail.
- Self-Paced – Go fast or go slow – it’s up to you.
- Based in Science – Developed using proven research on memory and learning.
- Cost-effective – Less expensive than classes or immersion, and features all native speakers.
- Genius – Triggers your brain’s natural aptitude to learn.
- Works for everyone – Recommended for ages 13 and above.
- 30, 30-minute audio lessons
- 60 minutes of reading instruction to provide you with an introduction to reading Finnish designed to teach you to sound out words with correct pronunciation and accent
- In total, 16 hours of audio, all featuring native speakers
- a Reading Booklet and a User’s Guide
What You’ll Learn
In the first 10 lessons, you’ll cover the basics: saying hello, asking for or giving information, scheduling a meal or a meeting, asking for or giving basic directions, and much more. You’ll be able to handle minimum courtesy requirements, understand much of what you hear, and be understood at a beginning level, but with near-native pronunciation skills.
In the next 10 lessons, you’ll build on what you’ve learned. Expand your menu, increase your scheduling abilities from general to specific, start to deal with currency and exchanging money, refine your conversations and add over a hundred new vocabulary items. You’ll understand more of what you hear, and be able to participate with speech that is smoother and more confident.
In the final 10 lessons, you’ll be speaking and understanding at an intermediate level. In this phase, more directions are given in the Finnish language, which moves your learning to a whole new plane. Lessons include shopping, visiting friends, going to a restaurant, plans for the evening, car trips, and talking about family. You’ll be able to speak comfortably about things that happened in the past and make plans for the future.
Reading Lessons begin in Lesson 11 to provide you with an introduction to reading Finnish. These lessons, which total about one hour, are designed to teach you to sound out words with Finnish pronunciation and accent. A Reading Booklet to be used with the audio lessons is also included in PDF format.
The Pimsleur Method
We make no secret of what makes this powerful method work so well. Paul Pimsleur spent his career researching and perfecting the precise elements anyone can use to learn a language quickly and easily. Here are a few of his “secrets”:
The Principle of Anticipation
In the nanosecond between a cue and your response, your brain has to work to come up with the right word. Having to do this boosts retention, and cements the word in your mind.
Words, phrases, and sentences are selected for their usefulness in everyday conversation. We don’t overwhelm you with too much, but steadily increase your ability with every lesson.
Graduated Interval Recall
Reminders of new words and structures come up at the exact interval for maximum retention and storage into your long-term memory.
You work on multiple aspects of the language simultaneously. We integrate grammar, vocabulary, rhythm, melody, and intonation into every lesson, which allows you to experience the language as a living, expressive form of human culture.
Learning in Context
Research has shown that learning new words in context dramatically accelerates your ability to remember. Every scene in every Pimsleur lesson is set inside a conversation between two people. There are no drills, and no memorization necessary for success.
The Pimsleur Method + active learner participation = success. This method works with every language and every learner who follows it. You gain the power to recall and use what you know, and to add new words easily, exactly as you do in English.
The Finnish Language
Finnish belongs to the Finnic branch of the Finno-Ugric family of languages. Its closest relative is Estonian; Hungarian is a distant cousin. It is spoken by approximately 5.2 million people, mostly in Finland, and by some in Sweden and Russia as well. There are three varieties of standard Finnish which are spoken throughout the country: kirjakieli ("book language") - used in official documents, official speeches and the daily news; yleiskieli - the standard language used in schools; it is formal and correct, though more relaxed than the "book language," and puhekieli ("spoken language") - more casual variety used in everyday conversation, which changes frequently. This course teaches the standard Finnish language, yleiskieli.
- CDs are formatted for playing in all CD players, including car players, and users can copy files for use in iTunes or Windows Media Player.
About the Author
Dr. Paul Pimsleur devoted his life to language teaching and testing and was one of the world’s leading experts in applied linguistics. After years of experience and research, Dr. Pimsleur developed The Pimsleur Method based on two key principles: the Principle of Anticipation and a scientific principle of memory training that he called “Graduated Interval Recall.” This Method has been applied to the many levels and languages of the Pimsleur Programs.