YOUR COLLEGE ESSAY IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN EVER! In a year when COVID-19 has upended traditional application criteria, writing a winning personal application statement has become even more critical to admissions success. This user-friendly guide gives struggling students the step-by-step help they need to write an essay that compels.
As confirmed by college admissions officers in articles in the Wall Street Journal, the New York Times, and other major news sites, now that the SAT/ACT are often optional, many grades are pass/fail, and the opportunities for extracurriculars have vanished, you NEED to ace your essay in order to stand out as an applicant.
This book takes you from blank page to submitted application with step-by-step guidance on the most effective ways to complete this daunting process! We’ve packed these pages with practical exercises and annotated samples that model good and bad techniques, and included tips from real admissions officers.
This complete guide provides:
• A firsthand look into different review processes, plus editing guidelines to help you think like an essay reader
• Step-by-step methods for breaking down a prompt
• Brainstorming techniques to help you find the right story to share
• Tried-and-true advice to get you outlining and drafting your essay with confidence
• Annotated essays to demonstrate writing dos and don’ts
• Guidance on additional written content (like short answer questions and resumes) for a completely polished application
About the Author
The experts at The Princeton Review have been helping students, parents, and educators achieve the best results at every stage of the education process since 1981. The Princeton Review has helped millions succeed on standardized tests, and provides expert advice and instruction to help parents, teachers, students, and schools navigate the complexities of school admission. In addition to classroom courses in over 40 states and 20 countries, The Princeton Review also offers online and school-based courses, one-to-one and small-group tutoring as well as online services in both admission counseling and academic homework help.