Your easy-to-follow guide to the latest research, treatments, and medications
The pain you suffer from fibromyalgia syndrome (FMS) is not in your imagination. FMS is a real medical problem that can be as debilitating and demoralizing as it is mysterious. Fibromyalgia For Dummies, Second Edition, brings you the latest scientific findings on the symptoms and causes of this disease and guides you toward proven, practical steps you can take reduce or eliminate FMS-related pain.
This plain-English guide is fully updated with the latest fibromyalgia treatment options, and evaluations of new medications that have shown great promise in reducing pain. You'll discover how to spot an array of symptoms and their possible causes, work with your physician to develop a treatment plan, and manage your pain at home and in the office. You'll learn how to:
- Identify your FMS trigger points
- Cope with chronic pain and sleep problems
- Find medications that work for you
- Locate a physician who can really help you
- Make healing lifestyle changes
- Use hands-on therapies to alleviate pain
- Find effective over-the-counter and prescription medications
- Choose among alternative therapies and treatments
- Reduce the emotional distress caused by FMS
- Help a child with FMS
Featuring moving and inspiring stories from fellow FMS sufferers who share their stories and offer invaluable tips on working your way back to wellness, Fibromyalgia for Dummies, Second Edition offers serious and sensitive guidance to help you overcome FMS and start being yourself again.
About the Author
Roland Staud, MD, an experienced rheumatologist, is a diplomat of the American Board of Internal Medicine and the American Board of Rheumatology. Christine Adamec has been a freelance medical writer for over 20 years.