Conquer SQL Server 2022 and Azure SQL administration from the inside out
Dive into SQL Server 2022 administration and grow your Microsoft SQL Server data platform skillset. This well-organized reference packs in timesaving solutions, tips, and workarounds, all you need to plan, implement, deploy, provision, manage, and secure SQL Server 2022 in any environment: on-premises, cloud, or hybrid, including detailed, dedicated chapters on Azure SQL Database and Azure SQL Managed Instance. Nine experts thoroughly tour DBA capabilities available in the SQL Server 2022 Database Engine, SQL Server Data Tools, SQL Server Management Studio, PowerShell, and much more. You'll find extensive new coverage of Azure SQL Database and Azure SQL Managed Instance, both as a cloud platform of SQL Server and in their new integrations with SQL Server 2022, information available in no other book. Discover how experts tackle today's essential tasks and challenge yourself to new levels of mastery.
- Identify low-hanging fruit and practical, easy wins for improving SQL Server administration
- Get started with modern SQL Server tools, including SQL Server Management Studio, and Azure Data Studio
- Upgrade your SQL Server administration skillset to new features of SQL Server 2022, Azure SQL Database, Azure SQL Managed Instance, and SQL Server on Linux
- Design and implement modern on-premises database infrastructure, including Kubernetes
- Leverage data virtualization of third-party or non-relational data sources
- Monitor SQL instances for corruption, index activity, fragmentation, and extended events
- Automate maintenance plans, database mail, jobs, alerts, proxies, and event forwarding
- Protect data through encryption, privacy, and auditing
- Provision, manage, scale and secure, and bidirectionally synchronize Microsoft's powerful Azure SQL Managed Instance
- Understand and enable new Intelligent Query Processing features to increase query concurrency
- Prepare a best-practice runbook for disaster recovery
- Use SQL Server 2022 features to span infrastructure across hybrid environments
About the Author
Randolph West (they/them) lives in Calgary, Alberta, Canada, with a husband and two dogs. After being a consultant for millennia, Randolph now writes full-time at Microsoft Docs, still yelling at the screen. Occasional voice actor. Occasional blogger at bornsql.ca. Not to be trusted around chocolate. Yes, this is a short bio. William Assaf (he/him) is a senior content developer for Microsoft, writing Learn content for SQL Server, Azure SQL Database, Azure Synapse Analytics, and more. A long-time Baton Rougean, William and his adventure buddy Christine moved to Seattle during the pandemic. They love their new home but are still New Orleans Saints fans. Before joining Microsoft, William was a Data Platform MVP, SQL Saturday and SQL community organizer, and a long-time DBA and data consultant. As a consultant for 13 years, he worked with clients across the U.S. on SQL Server and Azure SQL platform optimization, management, data integration, disaster recovery, and high availability, and led a multi-city team of senior consulting SQL DBAs. William has written for Microsoft SQL certification exams since 2011 and was the team lead author of the 2017 and 2019 editions of SQL Server Administration Inside Out by Microsoft Press. Elizabeth Noble is a Director of Database Development, the author of Pro T-SQL 2019, and a Microsoft Data Platform MVP. Ze has spoken at several SQL Saturdays across the United States and at PASS Summit. Most of zir topics focus on DevOps, collaboration with other IT departments, and automated database deployments. Zir passion is to help others improve the quality and speed of deploying database changes through automation. When ze is not trying to automate all things, ze can be found spending time with zir dogs, playing disc golf, or paddleboarding (if the weather is right). Meagan Longoria is a Microsoft Data Platform MVP living in Denver, Colorado. She is an experienced consultant and trainer who has worked with the Microsoft Data Platform for over 15 years. She enjoys creating solutions in Azure, SQL Server, and Power BI that make data useful for decision makers and make the lives of information workers a little bit easier. Meagan enjoys sharing her knowledge with the technical community by speaking at conferences, blogging (DataSavvy.me), and sharing tips and helpful links on Twitter (@mmarie). Joseph D'Antoni is a Principal Consultant at Denny Cherry & Associates Consulting. He is recognized as a VMWare Expert and a Microsoft Data Platform MVP and has over 20 years of experience working in both Fortune 500 and smaller firms. He has worked extensively on database platforms and cloud technologies and has specific expertise in performance tuning, infrastructure, and disaster recovery. Louis Davidson has over 20 years as a data architect and technical writer. Recently he joined Redgate as the editor of the Simple Talk website after 20-plus years working for a nonprofit, where he was the lead SQL Server architect and programmer. Louis has been the principal author on many technical books about SQL Server, including six editions of a book on database design. Louis' blog, located at simple-talk.com for many years, provides information about technical issues and upcoming presentations, including previewing the thought process that goes into writing presentations, books, and blogs.