Other Books in Series
“Kids, young and old, fall in love with math when they see how real-life and effortless it becomes thanks to these books.” --Kimberly D. Mueller, Ed.D., First Grade Teacher, Ashbrook School, Lumberton NJ
Does a polka-dotted sock match a striped sock? A lonely striped sock searches the house for its mate in this book that's perfect for teaching matching to pre-K through kindergarteners.
Kids will love the story and the funny illustrations by Lois Ehlert. Parents and other educators will love how the story and pictures make understanding comparisons a breeze—as well as the concrete examples of how math works! The book contains activities for adults to do with kids to extend math into their own lives!
Math skills are life skills, and the MathStart series supports success!
- This award-winning series by Stuart J. Murphy teaches math through stories and visual models
- 63 books divided into three levels with 21 books in each
- Fun activities kids will love are included to help parents and teachers emphasize the lessons
- Engaging and relatable stories, with each story revolving around practical applications of the math concept presented
- Lively art from top-notch illustrators
- Charts and other visual representations help children understand how the math works and promote deeper comprehension
MathStart's unique combination of stories, illustrations, and visual models helps teachers and parents in the teaching of math and provides all children with the opportunity to succeed.
The math concepts taught in MathStart books conform to state and national standards. Level 1 is Pre-K–Kindergarten; Level 2 is Grades 1–3; Level 3 is Grades 2–4. The series follows math topics across grades so there is a foundational path to learning that runs through the levels.
Help kids with their math skills plus their reading skills with the engaging and fun MathStart series!
About the Author
Stuart J. Murphy is a visual learning specialist. A graduate of the Rhode Island School of Design, he has a strong background in design and art direction. He also has extensive experience in the world of educational publishing. Drawing on all these talents, Stuart J. Murphy brings a unique perspective to the MathStart series. In MathStart books, pictures do more than tell stories; they teach math.
Stuart J. Murphy and his wife, Nancy, live in Boston.
Lois Ehlert was the Caldecott Honor-winning author and illustrator of Color Zoo, as well as Color Farm and Circus. She also illustrated many other books, including the beloved Chicka Chicka Boom Boom.